Babies don't always sleep when you want them to; my baby included. Last night/early this morning -- 4:45 AM -- Zeke woke up. I was excited because he's been waking up sometime in the 3 o'clock hour to be fed, so this was over an hour later. I got extra sleep! I smiled as I saw the clock. But when I made it to the crib I could tell that even though he was crying, he was more awake than usual. I started feeding him which usually knocks him back out... an hour later he was finally done, and still wide awake. I rocked him, but I could tell it wasn't going to work. I started to get frustrated because I was tired and wanted him to go back to sleep. Then I remembered something my friend told me. She said when her baby wouldn't sleep, instead of getting frustrated, make it into a "party." Just have a good time together, enjoy the cuddles, and wait for them to be ready to sleep again. I can't say that I was happy about it, but I did take Zeke to lay down in bed with me, that way I could at least relax instead of be sitting in the chair waiting for him to fall asleep. He looked around and talked and played for awhile and once he started fussing again I went back to his room and finally got him back to sleep around 6:40 AM. It was rough and I don't understand what kept him from sleeping, but I do know that being frustrated or upset doesn't make him go back to sleep any quicker. This phase will come to an end and he won't want so many early morning parties with Mommy. Perspective.
To life... full of early morning parties!
1 comment:
Love your introspective heart, sis!
Post a Comment