I ended up choosing a recipe from Tasty Kitchen for Buttery Breadsticks. The recipe called for garlic salt, parmesan cheese, and italian seasoning. I just modified mine to make them dessert-y instead! They were really, really good! In the future I might serve them to a larger group because they were definitely best right out of the oven. By day 2 they were starting to get a little chewy. But we ate them nevertheless :0) By the end of the batch, I realized one of the reasons I was enjoying them so much -- they are like an unfurled cinnamon roll! Yeasty bread, cinnamon sugar, and frosting! Yum! I don't think that combination will ever get old.
Buttery Breadsticks
*From Tasty Kitchen by HSchultz
(Directions are hers, pictures are mine.)
Ingredients:
| Dessert Breadsticks! |
- 1 Tablespoon Yeast
- 1-½ cups Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3-½ cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ cup Butter
- Optional Sprinkles: Garlic Salt, Parmesan Cheese And Italian Seasoning (I mixed up some cinnamon and sugar and used that instead.)
- Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer. Let stand for a few minutes until foamy. Then add sugar, salt and flour; mix well. Knead until smooth and elastic. Let dough rise for 10 minutes.Melt butter in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and once melted, pour half into a baking sheet that you have resting on a flat surface.Roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into strips using a pizza cutter, twisting if desired. Roll each piece in the remaining butter, covering all sides and arrange on baking sheet. (The dough is pretty stretchy, so I ended up picking up the strip and immediately folding it in half as I twisted it. It made it easier to twist and made them a more reasonable length.)
Headed into the oven... Sprinkle withgarlic salt, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoninga mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Let rise 15-20 minutes. Bake for 15-18 minutes.Warm and ready to be enjoyed! The quick frosting I whipped up: 1 stick butter (needs to be soft), about 3 cups of powdered sugar, enough milk to make it the consistency of your choice, but usually start out with just 1 or 2 T. so it's not too runny. Whip until fluffy! - These just might be one of my new favorite desserts! I love warm bread, especially when it's covered with butter, cinnamon sugar, and frosting!
- To life... full of "he'll want some jam to go with it" ideas.
2 comments:
Delicious!!
I am going to have to try these, Yummy!!!
Post a Comment