I am a quiet, observant, introverted, enneagram 5 who mostly lives in my head. And if that sounds weird to you, that's ok. I often feel misunderstood, and while it's painful to feel like I don't come across the way I hoped, I am learning to let go of my idealized version of myself and embrace the reality of life {I didn't even like typing that sentence!} Here's a picture: often, as I'm leaving a group setting, I will think "Wow! What an enriching, meaningful conversation we just had!" and then as I reflect some more I will realize that I actually forgot to say anything out loud. As people share and discuss, I am listening, ingesting, commentating and responding inwardly, but often forget or am afraid to speak out loud.
Because, you see, it is much safer to keep those thoughts internally. And then I frustrate myself further because when I do pluck up my courage and decide to actually say words *out loud* I find my voice often gets all wavery and my eyes will sometimes tear up because I feel passionate, or strongly about the subject and I'm so not used to saying anything, that the experience feels even more vulnerable and it takes a lot of energy out of me.
Nevertheless, as I countdown the days until I turn 40, I thought I'd share some things I've learned in my third decade of life. I'm blogging it, which is like so 2009, but I figure that gives people an option to click on the link or just move on if they'd rather not read an excessively long social media post :)
Something I began over the past decade is work on my habits. I've never been one to rush or make quick decisions or try something rashly. I reflect, predict outcomes, consider what's realistic in my season of life, and alter course slowly; maybe even painstakingly slow. But as I near my 40th birthday next week and consider those small changes that I chose to become habits, I am thankful I didn't wait for the "perfect time" or when things were "easier". Yes, there were some things I started that were fails, but the ones that have stuck, I'm glad I made the effort to try and not give up even when I didn't see "results" as quickly as I wanted. I suppose along the way I might have read "Atomic Habits" by James Clear as many people reference when it comes to habit building, but I have not. Anyone out there recommend it? As I share a little each day, I will try to share some of my resources that have helped inform my decisions. Perhaps it will provide you some insight to a subject you are interested in as well!
To habits... and writing again!
4 comments:
Way to go! I need habit help... I've created the wrong ones...
So very thankful this Tricia has reappeared! <3
I love when you speak up because I always appreciate what you have to say! And if writing here means I’ll get to hear (read) more of your thoughts, I’m stoked about it!! Yay!!
I'd like to echo Malia, who somehow reflected my thoughts exactly. I also always enjoy hearing your thoughts. I can tell you have given thought to your thoughts and it isn't usually a rash comment. Enjoying your blog!!
Post a Comment